Tuesday, September 19, 2006

'Love has to stop somewhere short of suicide'

Can I tell you about Dodsworth? Saw it on the big screen at Telluride. Loved it. Stars Walter Huston and Ruth Chatterton as discontented marrieds who take a cruise and drift apart. She's cheating on him to recapture her youth; he's despondent, but then meets Mary Astor, who is everything his wife is not: kind, worldly, comfortable with her age.

By the time Chatterton pushes for a reconciliation, Huston's heart is split. His longtime wife, his first love and mother of his beloved daughter? Or this new woman, whose mere presence promises new horizons?

The decision comes during the film's last moment. I won't spoil it. Just see it. In the supple hands of director William Wyler, the final sequence is thrilling. Thrilling? A 1936 black-and-white dramedy of spousal manners? Yes, thrilling I tell you! The best movies quietly take your breath away at the very end. Dodsworth -- through a slight adjustment in pacing -- does just that at the last instant.

4 comments:

Jamy said...

I can't believe you haven't seen it before! What a great picture. It's captivating.

Emma said...

I love you for not having Lost in Translation in your top 10 of 03.

Middento said...

I concur that Dodsworth is amazing. At the screening I was at (the fest opener at our theater!), the audience cheered.

StinkyLulu said...

Dodsworth -- one of the films I've recently screened for this month's Supporting Actress Sundays/Smackdown thing -- is indeed a surprising treat. And, though Ouspenskaya snagged the nom, I found Astor's performance to be just amazing, accessible and such a break with her usual schtick that I'm still amazed she didn't get a nom. (I suspect it was huge whiff of scandal around her at the time.) But, yeah: one of the better dramatic comedies of middle age ever...

So jealous you got to see it well-projected...