Sunday, March 04, 2007

8. The Prestige

This is how mainstream movies should be: whip-smart, with matinee idols steering a crackling plot that both requires your intelligence and urges you to sit back and be overwhelmed. It's an ideal sensation, to be entertained and mentally stimulated. The Prestige --named for the final part of a magic trick -- does both, thanks to Chris Nolan (hasn't made a bad picture yet) and Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale (two actors whose personalities are night and day but whose charisma level is off the charts). They keep us entranced and distracted with the fireworks of their duel, but all the while they're setting up a great trick on the medium of film itself. When The Prestige reveals its prestige, we are duly awed.

7 comments:

Middento said...

Really?

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised to see this one on the list at all. Not that I saw a whole heck of a lot this year (for obvious reasons, or at least reasons that you know), but while I found The Prestige somewhat enjoyable, I was disappointed with it. Perhaps this is because I never (ever!) am able to guess "the prestige" of a movie like this and, shockingly, I was able to predict both twists early on in the film. And because I, the ijjit, could do it, I felt the fault lay with the movie, not with my super-intelligence.

I think what I'm saying is that you've seen more than I have and I was therefore surprised to find this so high up. (I, for one, enjoyed Marie Antoinette more than this.) As long as a certain Clint Eastwood film isn't on your list (you know which one I'm talking about), then I'll still respect you in the morning. (You are hereby warned. Warned, I tell yoU!)

J.J. said...

As I said, it's been a middling year. And, I have not seen The Prestige a second time. But my theatrical experience was entirely fulfilling.

Beedow said...

i haven't seen it, but if i'm right, doesn't this scene (your photo) take place on mt. washington? or it was filmed there? Hmm... maybe that's why you like it.

J.J. said...

Are you right? Where'd you read that?

Middento said...

She's right -- and they mentioned it at the Oscars, if I'm not mistaken

Jeanette said...

The Pledge-- You have a nose.
The Trick-- I've got your noise!
THE PRESTIGE-- Your nose is now back on your face!!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know David Bowie was in this film until my friend Lolo mentioned it to me months after I'd seen the thing.