Monday, January 15, 2007

Golden Globes predictions

Picture (Drama): Babel
Picture (Comedy/Musical): Little Miss Sunshine
Director: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Babel
Actor (Drama): Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland
Actress (Drama): Helen Mirren, The Queen
Actor (Comedy): Sacha Baron Cohen, Borat
Actress (Comedy): Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
Screenplay: Babel
Animated Film: Happy Feet
Foreign Language Film: Pan's Labyrinth
Original Score: The Fountain
Original Song: "Listen," Dreamgirls

In other words, a boring night (unless everyone is blotto). Babel gets three, Dreamgirls gets three and The Departed's power is called into question. We can at least expect some refreshing theatrics from Meryl (remember the last time she got a Globe, for Adaptation? This is how you accept an award). As I've said before, Meryl should accept all the awards for everyone. Sometimes I think she's a better awards-acceptor than actor. Also in that category: Liz Taylor ("Gladiator!") Any thoughts on predictions? The show is tonight.

Update 1.16.07. The link to Meryl's acceptance speech for Adaptation has been "removed at the request of copyright owner Dick Clark Productions." To this I say: Kiss my ass, Dick. With ever-dwindling ratings, your silly awards show needs all the exposure it can get. Try this one instead.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you picked Meryl. I didn't think you liked her performance. Perhaps I need to read your blog more carefully.

J.J. said...

I didn't. These are predictions of who will win, not whom I want to win. That said, it's a night of good entertainment when Meryl gets to the podium.

wharman said...

Who do you want to win? I can't wait for the GGs with all its drunken glory. I've been terrible about seeing movies this year, so this is helpful!

J.J. said...

Honestly, there is not one person or movie I'm pulling for. That makes me sad, I guess, but it will also allow me to just enjoy the thing.

That said, I'd love to see Bobby pull off an upset. I'd love to see Kate Winslet win, or Adriana Barraza or Mark Wahlberg. But I've accepted the fact that they will lose.

is that so wrong? said...

I was gonna ask where your predictions were, but I suppose I should've simply checked the blog first. I can't wait to hear Streep's acceptance speech either.... and thanks for the link to the Adaptation acceptance speech.... which, sadly, should've brought her to the Oscar podium too.

Middento said...

You bet against Dreamgirls for best Comedy/Musical? Given the musical-loving, weird-ass Hollywoof Foreign Press??! You silly man.

J.J. said...

I also figure the HFPA for being fickle, and wanting to stay ahead of a trend, so I thought they'd give a boost to the LMS train. Wha-evah.

For the record, I correctly predicted 14 of 24 categories. I also nabbed all the film acting trophies, which is depressing because it was not a surprising night.

Nominees for best speeches: Irons, Streep, Laurie, Cohen, Beatty.

Beedow said...

youtube removed the acceptance speech, but i found it here, even though i didn't find it particularly brilliant. what about phylicia rashad's 2004 tony speech? that was something
http://www.meryl-streep.de/media/videos.htm

J.J. said...

I thought Rashad's was kinda laughable. Great, and overly eloquent, but grande-damish in the wrong way. "And...for...this..."

Your link isn't working either. Hmm. While I don't think she deserved the award for Prada, the speech was pitch-perfect and grande-damish in the RIGHT way. The woman just knows how to do an acceptance speech. She subverts her own image, the show's image, and still manages to steer between humor and sincerity. She realizes that a speech MUST be a form of entertainment, not a chance to barf a catalogue of thank-yous.

J.J. said...

This one's real good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4j4yq4YlYs.