Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I will write about your book, sir; just you wait

Every two to three hours, I develop an urge to consume chocolate. This urge often outweighs all else. If I don't get chocolate, I become sullen.

In the vending machine at work, the Snickers and the 3 Musketeers cost the same ($1), yet the 3 Musketeers is an inch longer and 3.7 grams heavier. I doubt the candies have different widths, so nougat alone must be cheaper than the combination of nougat, caramel and peanuts. Both bars are made by Mars, Incorporated. The question is: Even though 3 Musketeers has greater surface area, is the chocolate shell thinner than Snickers to keep the price the same? Or are caramel and peanuts that much more expensive? Of course, I'd prefer a Milky Way or Whatchamacallit, but these are not options at present.

Shortly after settling on 3 Musketeers, I went to the mail room. An author sent me a copy of his book today in the hopes I'd find some way to write about it. Included in the package was a Ghirardelli chocolate bar. Mint Bliss Intense Dark. 60 percent cacao. Thirty-five more grams than 3 Musketeers and the retail price is almost four times as much. But it didn't cost me a dime. Now I can put the 3 Musketeers in my desk drawer for emergency use.

1 comment:

Middento said...

My former boss used to say, "You know, if something really bad happens like, oh, you forget to pick up a 35mm print and it gets stolen or somthing, just remember that on Monday morning you should come in with chocolate first." Now, I keep a plate handy for all the women on my hallway who wear above-the-knee skirts with high boots (plus, occasionally, a student, or maybe an ex-student).

Chocowhores unite!