Saturday, November 25, 2006

Working title: 'I Didn't Kill My Wife'

The Fountain proves at least one thing: that Clint Mansell might one day rival Carter Burwell for creating the most engaging, memorable and evocative film scores of our time. Other than that, The Fountain is a more theatrical version of Solaris a la Soderbergh -- from the story (or lack of it) to the visuals (nebulas on parade!) to the tone (cosmic yearning for a beautiful woman). I can appreciate any movie that makes me think -- that actively requires my participation -- but I find myself at a dead end with this one. It's a lovely dead end, adorned with flowers and bursting lights and broad brushstrokes, but a dead end nonetheless. "Life ends," Aronofsky says. "Death reigns. Look to the stars and you'll see proof." Right, now, where's our catharsis? Hop over to Cinephilia for a spot-on dialogue about the movie's merits, and how we all hoped they'd be grander. Or see Nathaniel R., who wisely views the movie as personal expression and no more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took about 10 seconds for me to think I wasn't going to dig this movie. And I didn't. Too weirdo and abstract. And I'm a weirdo, so that says a lot. Also, too much Hugh crying.

Middento said...

Yes! I coldn't agree with you more about Mansell! (And Burwell, actually.) I loved the score as well. Need. To. Purchase. (I was very disappointed that my soundtrack distributor friend wasn't working this one. Pooh.)

I really liked the movie, in part because I still couldn't wrap my head around it completely at the end. (Which I like.) I found it to be very much like 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I suppose in some circles would be hubris. I want to see it again... but have no idea when that will happen.

J.J. said...

I also want to view again. My affection for The Fountain's reckless abandon has grown since seeing it on Saturday, and Mansell's tri-tonal theme has been resounding in my brain continuously.

I do not think the comparison to 2001 is foolhardy. 2001 is just a movie, like this one. They both use images, not story. That said, The Fountain is still more Solaris than 2001. Although Soderbergh was leagues more restrained.