Thursday, August 18, 2005

The 40-Year-OId Virgin



Notice how I punctuate the title correctly.

Thumbs up, three stars, go see it. Funny movie. Some real stupid parts, which I actually wasn't expecting, given the caliber of the cast and filmmakers. I trust Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd, and Jane Lynch. And Carell wrote it, and Judd Apatow ("Freaks & Geeks" and "Undeclared") directed. So it's a smart mix, but you can tell some bits were thrown in for the Old School crowd. I await the day when I can see a comedy that is both marketed to my generation and doesn't have a gag with dogs humping each other. Or a gag with vomit.

But the cast is likable, and the laughs flow from Carell, who has great on-camera comic rhythm. And The 40-Year-Old Virgin may be the first movie to feature a gag involving an erect penis and urination. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This movie is going to make a crapload of money. It'll easily be No. 1 this weekend, and in the top 10 for the year. Carell must feel like the luckiest bastard in the world. And why not? Between "The Office," "The Daily Show," Anchorman, and this, he's got a good thing going.

[Side note: Cedric Yarbrough, of the masterpiece series "Reno 911!", has a cameo. He's misused and under-used, but it was great to see him anyway. And if you're not watching "Reno," you're insane. Tuesday, 10 p.m., Comedy Central. Second only to "Arrested Development," which you should also be watching.]

3 comments:

Russell said...

I believe Me Myself and Irene had an erect/urinating penis....I remember Jim Carrey accidently peeing on his own face.

I can't believe I pulled that out of my memory banks; I hated that movie.

J.J. said...

Damn. Well, you'll get more of the same if you see 40YO Virgin.

J.J. said...

Also, it appears the movie is the best-reviewed of the year: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=231593