Monday, November 21, 2005

Reasons why this is a movie blog

It's appalling that "Two and a Half Men" has remained on television for three years and that it pulls in 13 million viewers a week. It's crude and dumb and, for Christ's sake, it stars Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer. But I watched it because Cloris Leachman was guest starring as Cryer's romantic interest, and I'm that starved for quality on television.

Every "joke" was at her expense. Yes, Cloris is old, but she's 100 times more talented than Cryer and Sheen, who dropped witless one-liners every five seconds: "Her birthstone is lava." "Her prom theme was Fire." "Her first Christmas was the first Christmas."

Ugh. And now, as I'm typing this, here are Stockard Channing and Henry Winkler stumbling through "Out of Practice," which just stole a joke from "Arrested Development," which is where Winkler (and Cloris, for that matter) belongs. Reaching for the remote...

3 comments:

Middento said...

You need to watch My Name Is Earl. With Arrested Development gone, this is the next best thing.

Beedow said...

i hate to intrude, but the one episode of Earl that I forced myself to sit through was enough for my stomach to handle -- there is no next best thing (although Boston Legal is damn funny)

G. Genova said...

I couldn't agree more about that show 2 1/2 men. Really ugh. Was looking for a pic of Cloris and found your blog. I worked on a film with her in '88. She was in amazing shape, ran circles around all of us younger folks.