Friday, April 25, 2008

She's not my secretary; she's what they call an executive liaison; and I'm not banging her, if that's what you're implying

Wednesday was Administrative Professionals Day, so here we belatedly honor the best secretary in cinema: Floris, played by Mary Kay Place, in Being John Malkovich. Damn fine woman, Floris.

"I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're saying to me right now."

"What magic those fingers could work on the right cabinet. Maybe you should alphabetize me. And remember: 'I' comes before 'U.'"

Above is one of the best-written, funniest scenes in movies, and Place knocks it out of the park. The Floris/Dr. Lester storyline is probably the most ingenious, textured, hilarious subplot ever. It's a miracle. Do you have a favorite movie secretary? (If you need inspiration, The Film Experience flagged Maggie Gyllenhaal in Secretary [duh] and Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns.)

4 comments:

Mike z said...

The secretary in X-Men 2 who stares at Lady Deathstrike. Best supporting actress nomination, right there!

Anonymous said...

hi! this blog is very promising. But I just come from google by accidentally. Take care. Keep posting.

Nell Minow said...

My favorite movie secretary might be Eve Arden in "Anatomy of a Murder."

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!