Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I wanna be a producer...but only if I get credit

Here's an article that elegantly parses all the hubbub about the Academy's nominating process, which is re-goddamn-diculous. (They cap nominees for best picture at three, but they nominate five writers for a screenplay that's not supposed to exist?) If Little Miss Sunshine or The Departed wins picture, it'll be two years in a row that the process robs deserving people of a statuette. Wouldn't it be in the Academy's best interest to get Brad Pitt on the stage at the climax of the show? When's the last time a recognizable person accepted a best picture Oscar? Probably never. (Michael Douglas, at left, won for producing One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 30 years ago, but he wasn't yet a Pitt-caliber star.)

Starting in a day or two: my year-end awards, a top 10 and Oscar predix. On Sunday, I'll be liveblogging the sh*t out of the pre-show and ceremony. After the Oscars, things will return to normal around here. Or I might actually dissolve this blog and pursue other endeavors. Who knows? Stay tuned. Also: a nice little piece by someone I know. 'Bout time someone brought this up in a major publication.

4 comments:

Alanna said...

'Bout time someone brought this up in a major publication.

By that you mean, "'Bout time me brought this up."

Stay classy!

J.J. said...

What!

Anonymous said...

i <3 it.

please don't dissolve! where will i get all of my snarky hollywood insider news?!

-mils

Beedow said...

if you dissolve, i dissolve